England Hockey have recently confirmed arrangements for Return to Play from Monday, 29th March.
- Only fun, friendly and local activity.
- Follow Step 4 of EH Roadmap i.e. the guidance that we followed for the first half of the season but without competitive hockey matches. Details here.
- Training and matches can resume as long as all guidance is in place.
- Groups of a maximum of 30. More than one group can use a pitch at the same time as long as social distancing is maintained between groups.
- Multiple matches can take place at venues as long as social distancing is maintained between groups outside of matches.
- Follow government travel guidance.
- No spectators, except for one parent per child for safeguarding purposes.
- Permitted activities may broaden from 12th April but details are to be confirmed.
The full England Hockey statement can be viewed here.
As far as competitions are concerned:
- The men’s and women’s EHL leagues have been declared null and void – details here.
- There is nothing confirmed yet for completion of other EH competitions.
- East League hockey below the women’s Premier and men’s Premier A divisions will not resume. The possibility of playing some matches in those two divisions is still being explored, but our men’s 1st XI will not be competing. Read the East League’s latest statement here.
- The London Hockey League has been declared null and void – details here.
- The Essex League will not be resuming.
While we anticipate that the majority of our members will be keen to get back on the pitch, EH have made it very clear that some individuals may have reservations and, as such, have stressed that nobody should be put under any pressure to participate. Please bear this in mind when organising activities.
The planned club activities so far:
- The majority of regular midweek training sessions will recommence from 29th March and run until the end of April. Please speak to team captains for details or, alternatively, contact James Stock or Tom Fanger.
- Men’s midweek Summer League should be going ahead as normal from May. Details to follow.
- Sandra Earley is organising a women’s lower XI 7-a-side competition at 7pm and 8pm on Thursday evenings from May onwards. Details to follow.
- Junior Hockey
- Fridays from 9th April
- 18:00-19:00 – Under-10s
- 19:00-20:00 – Under-12s and Under-14s
- 20:00-21:30 – Under-16s and Under-18s
- Sundays from 11th April
- 09:00-10:00 – Under-8s
- 10:00-11:00 – Under-10s and Under-12s
- 11:00-12:00 – Under-14s
- Fridays from 9th April
We understand there will be an increased appetite for continuing to play over the summer months, given the amount of hockey missed in the last year. We have already received draft plans and ideas from members to run hockey sessions under a variety of formats, all of which will be communicated to you in the coming weeks prior to them getting underway in May. We are keen to provide hockey opportunities to members of all ages and abilities but need volunteers to organise them. Please get in touch with Simon Bird if you wish to get involved in organising regular or ad hoc events, but remember that the emphasis is on fun and friendly!
Finally, if you have any concerns or are feeling anxious about hockey activity under COVID-19 restrictions, please discuss your concerns with a friend, teammate, captain, coach, our COVID-19 Officer, Wendy Tombs, or James Stock.