Men’s 1st XI v Letchworth/Cambridge

adminMatch Reports

Chelmsford brought their season to a close with two draws to confirm their East Premier A status for next season. The results see them finish the campaign on a seven game unbeaten run and with five consecutive draws.

Saturday’s game against Letchworth was a dour affair with both sides adopting a patient approach which limited the number of chances created. Letchworth edged the first half and Chelmsford the second, but with short corners at a premium and neither goalkeeper called into significant action, it was inevitable that the game drifted to a goalless conclusion.

Chelmsford: 0
Letchworth: 0

A poor start, signs of promise in the middle and a strong end could be used equally to describe both Chelmsford’s season and their final game against Cambridge University on Sunday. After the high of securing survival the previous day, it was understandable that Chelmsford started the game slowly.

Just two minutes were on the clock when a forward fired the students in front through a gap at the near post, and just moments later they took advantage of a short corner defence in disarray to double their lead.

Chelmsford soon regained their composure and were happy to play the ball patiently and let the visitors make the majority of the running. Cambridge’s intense start was soon showing signs of flagging, but Chelmsford could not find their way through the away defence before the break.

Chelmsford did not have long in the second half to regain a foothold in the game. After forcing a number of short corners, Tom Fanger finally converted with a drag flick down the centre of the goal.

The hosts continued to apply pressure and found an equaliser when Fanger scored his second of the game after the initial routine had broken down.

If anything it was Cambridge who finished the game stronger, but James McCann was on hand to beat away a number of short corners to keep the game level at the final whistle.

Chelmsford: 2
Cambridge University: 2