Chelmsford Men’s 1st XI vs. Blueharts

Nicole HullMatch Reports

Result: Won 2-0

Scorers: T Fanger x2

Chelmsford looked to maintain their 100% undefeated record in 2018 as they headed to Blueharts. After being held to a 1-1 draw at home on the opening day of the season, the visitors were keen to improve matters. This was particularly the case as Blueharts had only picked up one other point via the usual method since that opening day.

In spite of this being the second half of an away weekend double header, and it being outrageously early for such an occasion, Chelmsford started brightly. This was compounded by the fact Blueharts started, and continued for much of the opening 55 minutes, sluggishly. Many chances were created, most notably when the otherwise excellent Tom Gore rounded the keeper and failed to convert into an open goal, continuing his form from that opening fixture of the season.

Chelmsford’s greatest threat was to themselves and through ill-discipline. The only card of the game went to one of this season’s new signings. Bless him, in his fourth fixture he’s still finding his feet with the game and the team, and he got a bit flustered and spent a few minutes on the bench to reflect on his misdemeanours and simmer down. That heated moment aside, Mr. G. Kirkham OLY continues to impress on his limited appearances, and will doubtlessly continue to be considered for future selections.

With the hosts struggling to string more than a couple of passes together before surrendering possession, Chelmsford continued to create chances almost effortlessly. It was not until the 19th minute however, that the deadlock was broken. The first penalty corner of the game was converted into the bottom corner by man of the match Tom Fanger.

Nothing much changed thereafter, and the gulf was doubled in much the same method on the stroke of the 27th minute. This effort from Fanger though, went straight down the middle. The mind games had worked wonders with the opposition defensive unit, as they graciously parted ways to avoid stopping the ball hitting the net.

Half-time arrived, and before long the second half had started. Blueharts improved marginally, venturing into the opposition half on occasion and maintaining possession with more authority than previously witnessed by the touchline hugging capacity crowd. Chelmsford coped defensively well with this significant shift in tempo, but failed to capitalise going forward as they had in the opening 35 minutes.

The real highlight of the half came in the last few minutes, when Blueharts pulled their keeper to give themselves an extra player on pitch. Desperate to get something from a game that the visiting greens had failed to kill off, they threw everything they could muster into generating an opportunity. Usually when a team goes to 11 outfield players and no goalkeeper, incidents occur and a goal normally materialises. On this occasion, however, neither side got as far as the other’s D. As such the game petered out with more of a whimper than a fanfare.

Chelmsford were delighted with their first 3 points of the year, which moves them yet further into the much sought after mid-table mediocrity.